How to stop future viruses.

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Sun Nov 13 14:57:00 AEST 1988

In article <8861 at smoke.BRL.MIL>, gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn ) writes:
> It would be a great service to the community if specifications for
> this feature were posted or at least sent to developers who want
> to enable a similar feature on their (typically BSD-based) systems.

Based on the SV/386 version:

> For example, what is the shadow file called

/etc/shadow

> , what is its format,

Same as passwd, but only the username and password are filled in.

> what sort of stuff is left in the password field in /etc/passwd,

The letter 'x'.

> what facilities are there to validate a password against the
> shadow encrypted password file?

I believe you have to be root to do this. There don't seem to be any
facilities to do this for user programs, but I haven't read all the docs.
--
Peter da Silva  `-_-'  Ferranti International Controls Corporation
"Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?"     uunet.uu.net!ficc!peter
Disclaimer: My typos are my own damn business.   peter at ficc.uu.net