The Internet Virus--A Commentary

Kent Landfield kent at ssbell.UUCP
Mon Nov 14 08:03:38 AEST 1988

In article <457 at utoday.UUCP> root at .UUCP (Ross M. Greenberg) writes:
>Perhaps a class in ethics over the next few years might show how many
>users of the net were adversely affected by this worm attack, and how
>doing such a thing (affecting so many people without their permission)
>might be something called "unethical"?

Excuse me, but how is a class on ethics going to *show* anything?

>Perhaps just using RTM (if, indeed, he was the bad guy) as an example
>of what happens to a person when they lack ethics?

I am so glad that I live in a country where members of the press are
not bias in any way, and that they do not condone kangaroo courts. :-)
RTM has been tried and convicted thousands of times since Nov 3. It
is nice to know that members of the press are jumping on the band wagon
as well. Perhaps a class in ethics is in order, but don't think that
just because you are not a programmer/systems person that you are above
attending.

>Ross M. Greenberg
>{my own views}

Its a good thing. I'd hate to think that this is the quality of
thought that goes into producing UNIX!Today.
----
Kent Landfield                    Phone:    (402) 291-8300
Sterling Software FSG/IMD         e-mail: kent at ssbell
1404 Ft. Crook Rd. South          This seat is occupied.
Bellevue, NE. 68005-2969          FAX:    (402) 291-4362