Nasty Security Hole?

Mike Faber mikef at wyn386.UUCP
Sat Nov 12 03:59:28 AEST 1988

I have wondered something about permissions security for a while, now, too.

Why can a person with read permission only be able to remove the file?  For
example, if I have a file of data (statistical data, for example), and I need
for any user in my group to read it as input data into their programs, they
will have read permission to it, but will also be able to remove it (it
makes sure you want to, but if Mr. Morris' worm had been destructive, he
could have wiped out anything that he had READ access to!!!  Is there a point
I'm missing (Op systems back in college doesn't cover enough.  THere ought to be
an ethics, or a security chapter in every O/S book.)

I'm more curious than worried, but there must be a reason...

--
   _   _                  | My employer and sysop do not think,
  (/  (/  _  _   _   _    | so they cannot share my opinions.