a holiday gift from Robert "wormer" Morris

George Seibel%Kollman seibel at cgl.ucsf.edu
Wed Nov 9 14:48:43 AEST 1988

In article <11226 at cgl.ucsf.EDU> I write:

>file protections, setuid scripts and the like, and all the while, *anyone*
>with the appropriate knowledge (and apparently a lot of people had it)
>could have done *anything* they wanted to your machine!

Oops.. not *anything*, perhaps *some* things... the sendmail bug doesn't
provide root access; more likely 'daemon' or something of that sort.
One of our local hosts did have the root password cracked in the recent
worm attack, but that was due to poor choice of root password rather
than any of the myriad *other* security holes we learned about courtesy
of Mr. Morris.  My appologies for the misinformation.

George Seibel