The Internet Virus--Another issue

Tony Nardo trn at aplcomm.jhuapl.edu
Fri Nov 18 22:45:40 AEST 1988

In article <7715 at boring.cwi.nl> jack at cwi.nl (Jack Jansen) writes:
>So far, only Sun has done something similar by posting instructions
>on patching sendmail and a replacement for fingerd to the net (and,
>I assume that they'll also snail-mail it to the poor customers
>without net access). Applause, but where are the others?

And this was a half-measure.  SUN's code to fix another 'finger' bug is,
I am told, "in the system", but has yet to be released to the public.
Also, was it SUN that released the patched ftpd sources?  I'm not sure,
but I don't think so.

I don't wish to pick on SUN alone.  It would sure be nice if vendors could
maintain a system on the network, reachable via anonymous ftp, containing
the patched sources/objects/binaries for bugs found in their operating
systems.  Granted, this wouldn't guarantee 100% coverage for distribution
of patches, but it would be an awfully good start.

ARPA, BITNET:   trn at aplcomm.jhuapl.edu
UUCP:		{backbone!}mimsy!aplcomm!trn

DISCLAIMER:  These are my opinions, and not necessarily those of JHU/APL.