How to stop future viruses.

Greg greg at skippy.berkeley.edu
Thu Nov 10 09:55:28 AEST 1988

In article <2178 at cuuxb.ATT.COM> dlm at cuuxb.UUCP (Dennis L. Mumaugh) writes:
>Security is requires active  and  continuing  work  by  a  system
>administrator.  All  the  security  mechanisms and protections in
>the world won't help if the system administrator is unwilling  to
>use them.  Nor, if the system administrator makes a mistake.  Or,
>if some one delibately unprocts things.

I agree with this.  However, if continual vigilance is your only
answer, then you are asking the wrong question, at least as far as Unix
systems are concerned.  The question is not "How do we make Unix
secure?", but "How do we get the most security with the least effort?"
Many system managers just don't have the time or desire to turn their
computers into fortresses.
--
Greg