a.out 1> file.out 2> file.err in cs

Ed Gould ed at mtxinu.UUCP
Tue Nov 1 03:33:23 AEST 1988

>>Is there any real reason *why* the csh didn't use the Bourne shell
>>notation for file redirection? I find the #> notation simple, clean,
>>and easy to use, whereas the csh version is obtuse and less powerful.

The csh notation preceded the availability of the Bourne shell.  By
the time Bourne's notation was known, there were already too many
users of the >& notation.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2560 Ninth St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,uunet}!mtxinu!ed    +1 415 644 0146

"I'll fight them as a woman, not a lady.  I'll fight them as an engineer."