Bug/misfeature in 4bsd /bin/sh

David Steffens das at eplunix.UUCP
Mon Nov 21 05:33:32 AEST 1988

In article <117 at sickkids.UUCP> mark at sickkids.UUCP (Mark Bartelt) says:
> All the non-Berkeley versions of UNIX I can get my hands on give:
>	3 2 3 1 2 1
> On the other hand, under 4.3bsd we're treated to the following:
>	1 1 2 1 2 1

In article <474 at auspex.UUCP> guy at auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) says:
> Did you try this under V7?  ...  If it does the wrong thing under V7,
> you may have made an incorrect assumption here ...
> It may, in fact, have been that AT&T *fixed* the behavior of the
> shell and *added* the comment in question.

Guy is correct -- an (almost) plain vanilla v7 /bin/sh gives:
	1 1 2 1 2 1

The system I used for testing is known as "v7m", an early release
of DEC's Ultrix-11.  The code is basically Bell v7 re-worked
to run on a non-splt I/D PDP11.  The /bin/sh binary is dated
5 May 1979 and derives from sources dated 12 Jan 1979.
--
{harvard,mit-eddie,think}!eplunix!das		David Allan Steffens
243 Charles St., Boston, MA 02114		Eaton-Peabody Laboratory