Bigger process IDs and "dev_t"s (was: Re: RISC v. CISC...)

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.COM
Sat Nov 5 12:07:44 AEST 1988

In article <1023 at murtoa.cs.mu.oz.au>, kre at cs.mu.oz.au (Robert Elz) writes:
> yes, what's more maybe we could do away with major *numbers* completely
> and use major *names* instead.  16 bits would be enough space for a
> 2 character name (which the whole universe, almost, could just treat
> as a number).  (Yes, I know that 2 chars isn't great, but it does fit).
>
> Imagine ...
>
> 	brw-------  1 root       sd,   0 Oct 18 12:34 /dev/sd0a

I can see it now: /etc/devcap will describe what these things mean.

Then, someday, when two characters is simply not enough, we'll
have to bite the bullet and go to /etc/devinfo, complete with the
`dic' devinfo compiler.

     Steve :-)

--
Steve Friedl    V-Systems, Inc.  +1 714 545 6442    3B2-kind-of-guy
friedl at vsi.com     {backbones}!vsi.com!friedl    attmail!vsi!friedl