The Internet Virus--Another Commentary

Cory Kempf cory at gloom.UUCP
Tue Nov 15 03:20:45 AEST 1988

In article <4176 at encore.UUCP>, bzs at encore.com (Barry Shein) writes:
[...]
> Actually, I'd go one step further and require a course like the above
> and certification of completion as a minimum requirement to obtain
> access to a computer attached, even indirectly, to a public network.

[...]

> Failure by the individual (at any point in his/her career) could
> result in revocation of his/her certification and consequent loss of
> ability to earn a living or an education (etc) in this field (after
> due process) and permanent notation of the facts of the case available
> for security or employment review (maybe, I'd be glad to hear
> arguments about the accessibility issue tho it's not critical.)

I like the idea of trying to keep 'bad people' out of the profession/net:
a network is based on trust.  I think that the computer profession needs
to police itself.  What worries me about the idea is that we will be re-
implementing blacklists.  I feel that there are some things that need to be
thought through first:

	Who can add information to this database
	Who can view the data on any given person
	What (if any) control does the person in question have over
		what is in the records on them?
	What information is stored there?
	How does one get a permit to work?  Does it require a 4-year
		degree?
	What about all of the engineers that learned on their own?

sure, I can see that maintaining a list of people who have valid certificates
may be a good idea, but the potential for abuse is staggering...

I have a lot of friends who will not work for DoD because they don't want
security clearances, etc.

maybe I am making a big thing out of nothing, but...

Big Brother?

+C
--
Cory (the last person to escape alive from riverside) Kempf
UUCP: encore.com!gloom!cory