sexist language

Henry Spencer henry at utzoo.uucp
Fri Nov 18 03:15:43 AEST 1988

In article <7731 at dasys1.UUCP> jpr at dasys1.UUCP (Jean-Pierre Radley) writes:
>...Brian Kernighan... quoted the linguist Benjamin Whorf. I can't remember
>it exactly, but it was to the effect that "the kind of the language we
>speak affects how we think"...

It should be noted that although this idea -- the "Whorfian Hypothesis" --
tends to be taken as gospel in computer science, the linguistics folks
value Whorf's work on American-Indian languages but consider the Hypothesis
to be unproven and somewhat dubious.
--
Sendmail is a bug,             |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
not a feature.                 | uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry at zoo.toronto.edu