Worm/Passwords

Gregory M. Paris gmp at rayssd.ray.com
Thu Nov 10 10:52:38 AEST 1988

In article <22401 at cornell.UUCP> piatko at cs.cornell.edu (Christine Piatko) writes:
> they are easy to remember.  A better technique, to come up with safer
> password, is to pick a phrase and use the initial letters and numbers:
> 'A stitch in time saves nine' for the password asits9.

I just used this heuristic to crack passwords on our system and found ten of
them!  Just kidding.  The point is that adopting any single system is not the
answer.  No one system is better than any other, once it becomes well known.
Encouraging the use of more password selection methods is what is really
desired.

--
Greg Paris                    <gmp at rayssd.ray.com>
{decuac,gatech,necntc,sun,uiucdcs,ukma}!rayssd!gmp