SLIP

Ross Parker parker at waters.mpr.ca
Tue Nov 1 03:22:04 AEST 1988

HELP!

I'm running Ultrix 2.0 (binary only :-( ) on a Microvax. I'm trying
to install SLIP on this system, with a few slight modifications for
Ultrix. When I try to run slattach, I get the message:

	/dev/ttyxx: No such device or address

The mods I've made are as follows:

	- changed SLIPDISC to 7 in ioctl.h, as Ultrix has 0-6 already defined.
	- changed tty_conf_data.c to define discipline 6 as nodev,nodev,...
	  (for SYSVDISC - it was defined in ioctl.h, but not set up in
	  tty_conf_data.c), and added the entries for slip after this.
	- changed if_sl.c to define BSD4_3, and to define MCLALLOC, MCLGET,
	  and MCLFREE (the Ultrix-supplied versions of these don't work with
	  the if_sl code as is, so I had to change one or the other... I chose
	  to change the definitions).
	- added the necessary entry to /usr/sys/conf/files.
	- added sl.h to /usr/sys/BINARY.vax

That's about it. I don't know whether this version of Ultrix has the kernel
routing code fix that was mentioned in the README file for the SLIP
distribution, and I (obviously) couldn't install the patches to route.c as
we have a binary distribution.

The kernel builds fine, if_sl gets compiled and linked in, but I get the
above error. Does anyone have any ideas? I understand Ultrix 2.4 (or 3.0)
will include SLIP, but I don't want to wait that long.

Any help would be appreciated!

Ross Parker      uunet!ubc-cs!mpre!parker       |
Microtel Pacific Research Ltd.			| You can't erase the dream,
Burnaby, B.C.,					| you can only wake me up...
Canada, eh?					|