fixing rm * (was: Worm/Passwords)

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at quintus.uucp
Sat Nov 26 11:23:34 AEST 1988

In article <1077 at entropy.ms.washington.edu> charlie at mica.stat.washington.edu (Charlie Geyer). writes:
>It is a bit of a pain embedding /bin/rm and /bin/mv in c-shell
>scripts I write.  Can anyone tell me if this is nonportable?

(1) If you want to avoid aliases, but don't mind picking things up out of
    the $path, you should know that quoting any part of a command will
    suppress alias lookup.  Thus it suffices to write \rm, \mv, and so on.
    'rm', "mv" will do as well.  Better still is to use the "-f" option if
    you have it.

(2) The SVID in section FILSYS(BA_ENV) says what the base of the
    directory tree should look like:
	/
	.../bin
	.../dev
	.../ect
	.../tmp
	.../usr
	....../usr/bin
	....../usr/tmp
    The ENVVAR(BA_ENV) section suggests PATH=/bin/usr/bin (sic!).
    If the SVID says where rm &co live, I can't find it, but assuming that
    cat, cp, ln, ls, mkdir, mv, rm, rmdir are in /bin should be ok.
    (It is _not_ portable to assume that "wc" is in /bin.)