fixing rm * (was: Worm/Passwords)

paul kirkaas kirkaas at oahu.cs.ucla.edu
Tue Nov 22 12:56:42 AEST 1988

In article <6518 at csli.STANFORD.EDU> wagner at arisia.xerox.com (Juergen Wagner) writes:
>In article <717 at quintus.UUCP> ok at quintus.UUCP (Richard A. O'Keefe) writes:
>>In article <1812 at ndsuvax.UUCP> ncgus at ndsuvax.UUCP (jim gustafson) writes:

   --- (deleted) ---

>>For example, I very much like the "-F" option in ls, but it would be
>>incredibly stupid to "alias ls 'ls -F'".  Instead I "alias lf 'ls -AF'"

   --- (deleted) ---
>                                                    ... I agree that aliasing
>"ls" to "ls -F" or similar stuff would be stupid...

I may well be incredibly stupid.  I suspect, however, there is far more
convincing evidence for that proposition than the fact that
I alias ls to ls -F.

I guess I'm a little disturbed at how easily we call others stupid
for using harmless practices which differ from our own.
If I ever run into problems because of my alias, I'll change it.
So far I've survived.

Paul Kirkaas
kirkaas at cs.ucla.edu