Deletion of Unwritable Files

Joe Beckenbach joe at cit-vax.Caltech.Edu
Sat Nov 19 09:22:24 AEST 1988

	I understand exactly how the mechanism of directory permissions
works. What I can't really understand is why a file which is read-only was
originally allowed to be deleted in the first place. I mean, sure, removing
a link affects the directory inode. BUT IT POTENTIALLY AFFECTS THE FILE!
[Remove the last link, and close the last open(), and bye bye data!]

On other words, why is this particular alteration of a file allowable [deletion]
when less drastic alterations [writing] are specifically disallowed by the
file permissions?

	Or did someone near Day 1 slip up and no-one's had the heart to
correct it? :-|

--
Joe Beckenbach	joe at csvax.caltech.edu	Caltech 256-80, Pasadena CA 91125
	rjm-antibody [emeritus] for the CS department