"tip" leaves device file exclusively open

Greg Lee lee at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
Sun Nov 20 00:56:41 AEST 1988

>From article <137 at abekrd.UUCP>, by garyb at abekrd.UUCP (Gary Bartlett):
" We  are  having  a  problem  with "tip" on a  Sun 3/50  running  Sun UNIX 4.2
" Release 3.4.  At the  completion  of some calls,  after  trying to disconnect
" from the line/modem,  the  command  hangs.  Killing  it with 'intr' or 'quit'
" results in the modem  device  being left  exclusively  open,  with the result
" that no other process including our regular uucp links can access the device.

I have occasionally had to kill off a tip and, after removing the lock
file been left with the port unusable -- e.g. tip says 'all devices busy'.
I stumbled on this fix: become superuser and dump a character to the
device.  'echo a >/dev/ttyb' or something similar.  (But maybe this
magic is only locally efficacious.)

		Greg, lee at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu