Mounting floppies

Andrew Klossner andrew at frip.gwd.tek.com
Sat Nov 19 11:25:38 AEST 1988

[]

	"Is there some reason (other than bureaucratic perversity) that
	the Sys/V mount command won't do its job when the /dev and the
	directory have write permissions?"

Being able to mount a floppy is a far more powerful thing that being
able to read or write the floppy.  For example, you could prepare the
floppy so that it contains a file system with a suid-root shell, using
only floppy read/write (or on a PC).  Hence, whoever can mount the
floppy has the equivalent of root powers; so the mount syscall is
restricted to root.

If you don't need this restriction on your workstation, make /etc/mount
a suid-root executable by all.  (This works on my 4.2BSD-based
workstation; I haven't tried it on sysV.)  No need for suid shell
scripts or special programs.

  -=- Andrew Klossner   (uunet!tektronix!hammer!frip!andrew)    [UUCP]
                        (andrew%frip.gwd.tek.com at relay.cs.net)  [ARPA]