SUN vs APOLLO???

ARMAND%BCVMS.BITNET at mitvma.mit.edu ARMAND%BCVMS.BITNET at mitvma.mit.edu
Fri Nov 11 03:22:51 AEST 1988

I have been asked to analyze/evaluate Sun and Apollo workstation offerings and
to determine the extent of their ability or inability to fit into our
environment in technical terms(i.e. communication interfaces, network/
multi-vendor compatability issues, etc.), considering also each company's
position in the marketplace and the direction they intend to take in the
future.

I am hopeful that I can benefit from similar work that has been done by
others and avoid costly mistakes.  I would be very interested in hearing about
your dealings with these machines, i.e. successful integration projects or any
horror stories you think appropriate.  I am specifically interested in the
following issues.

* compatability with other flavors of *UNIX*
* network compatability with other vendors (ex. DEC, IBM, Sun, Apple, etc.)
* price/performance
* vendor support
* company's direction in workstation market (X support and other OSF standards)
* personal preferences
* any other comments?

Feel free to call (collect if you wish) if you're not up to typing a response,
but please do respond!  I'm counting on you guys!

                                Armand Doucette
                                VAX Systems Programmer
                                Boston College
                                BITNET: ARMAND at BCVMS