How do I get *8* data bits *no* parity?

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.Dallas.TX.US
Fri Nov 4 03:36:36 AEST 1988

In article <130 at tree.UUCP> stever at tree.UUCP (Steve Rudek) writes:
>We're running Micrport System V/AT release 2.4 and need to change the tty
>default for incoming modem calls from the default (7 data bits even parity)
>to 8 data bits no parity to better accomodate new callers.  About 6
>months ago, under 2.2, I spent quite a bit of time experimenting with the
>gettydefs file.  As I recall, I tried changing the standard entry:
>
>1200# B1200 HUPCL PARENB CS7 CLOCAL OPOST ONLCR # B1200 HUPCL SANE IXANY TAB3 #login: #1200
>
>to:
>
>1200# B1200 HUPCL CS8 CLOCAL OPOST ONLCR # B1200 HUPCL SANE IXANY TAB3 #login: #1200

SANE is biting you.  SANE contains all manner of bits you may not need.
Try not using SANE but listing the modes individually.

The System V we have here does not all you to remove modes with -CLOCAL [ a
problem with SANE is that it may turn off modem control for modems or turn
it on for hardwired terminals ] so we list the flags out the long way.

Once you have written a new gettydef you will need to see if you are getting
the correct flags by compiling the gettydefs file.  Use the '-c' option to
getty to check the flags which are going to be used.  This will save you
the effort of calling yourself on the phone.
--
John F. Haugh II                        +----Make believe quote of the week----
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  | Nancy Reagan on Richard Stallman: