a holiday gift from Robert "wormer" Morris

Paul Vixie vixie at decwrl.dec.com
Mon Nov 7 05:36:10 AEST 1988

# the hole [in sendmail] was so obvious that i surmise that Morris
# was not the only one to discover it.  perhaps other less
# reproductively minded arpanetters have been having a field
# 'day' ever since this bsd release happened.

I've known about it for a long time.  I thought it was common knowledge
and that the Internet was just a darned polite place.  (I think it _was_
common knowledge among the people who like to diddle the sendmail source.)

The bug in fingerd was a big surprise, though.  Overwriting a stack frame
on a remote machine with executable code is One Very Neat Trick.
--
Paul Vixie
Work:    vixie at decwrl.dec.com    decwrl!vixie    +1 415 853 6600