The Internet Virus--A Commentary (curricula)

Gene Spafford spaf at cs.purdue.edu
Mon Nov 14 07:23:37 AEST 1988

In article <460 at gonzo.UUCP> daveb at gonzo.UUCP (Dave Brower) writes:
>This is a very difficult issue.  To add something to a curriculum means
>dropping something else.

Why do you say that?  If we add material on parallel architectures and
algorithms, does that mean that we should drop OS?  Or if we add a section
on functional languages, we should drop any mention of compilers?

A curriculum is an evolving thing meant to instruct students both in
the important topics and in how to integrate those topics and continue
their education.  Adding new material does not always mean something
else gets dropped.  It can mean that some older topics get less emphasis,
or it could simply mean that there is another required course added to the
core.
--
Gene Spafford
NSF/Purdue/U of Florida  Software Engineering Research Center,