sexist language

Pete Holsberg pjh at mccc.UUCP
Sat Nov 19 04:30:29 AEST 1988

In article <4801 at bsu-cs.UUCP> dhesi at bsu-cs.UUCP (Rahul Dhesi) writes:
=(I suppose this needs a good followup-to header, but which one?)
=
=In article <17574 at adm.BRL.MIL> rbj at nav.icst.nbs.gov (Root Boy Jim) writes:
=>I suppose we should bring up the distinction of
=>Miss/Mrs. vs having only Mr. for men.
=
=This is not an arbitrary distinction.  Men have always done the
=courting and the women have always waited to be asked.  Thus the
=practice developed (in more than one language, in more than one
=culture, in more than one era) of single women identifying themselves
=as such, so that men would know whom to court and whom to leave alone.
=--
=Rahul Dhesi         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!dhesi

So we could say that this has been a partial success, then???

But then why has the parallel practice - Master/Mister - died?

--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334