Implications of recent virus (Trojan Horse) attack

Guy Harris guy at auspex.UUCP
Wed Nov 16 04:05:43 AEST 1988

>In article <439 at auspex.UUCP> guy at auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
>>If that fix is "have 'getpwent()' return NULL if the entry it looks at
>>is syntactically incorrect," the fix is simple but rather rude;
>
>That would be rude but it wasn't what I was talking about.
>All you really need to do is to skip over a bogus entry and
>resynchronize for the next one.

It may not be what you were talking about, but it's what AT&T did, at
least in S5R3 and S5R3.1.  As I think I stated, skipping bogus entries
and proceeding to the next valid entry is, indeed, the right fix.