Binary Compatibility 80286

Erik E. & fair at ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU
Tue Oct 22 20:49:41 AEST 1985

In article <248 at omen.UUCP> caf at omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) writes:
>Now that we have at least four announced versions of SYS V Unix for the
>80286 (Xenix, PC-IX, Venix, and the 6300+ OSmerge), I would like to
>know if these systems are compatible at the binary program level that
>Bill Gates has declared imperative for commerical success.

Bill Gates has his head up an unnamed orifice. The success of UNIX in
the marketplace thus far is predicated on one thing: it is portable,
and therefore independent of vendor hardware. This means that
applications written for UNIX are also portable.

Assuming that you carefully code your application, there is no reason
why you can't start on an IBM PC or equivalent toy, and as your needs
require, move up to (say) a Cray-2.

UNIX portability means independence of users from manufacturers of
computer equipment; no longer are your operations threatened with
utter halt if DEC goes under tomorrow. Good luck if you use VMS.

It also means that computer manufacturers no longer need to perpetuate
their past mistakes in the name of backward compatability (e.g. Intel
8086, 80186, 80286, ... ; IBM 360, IBM 370, ...).

Anyone worrying about binary compatability for UNIX programs has
totally missed the point.

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair at ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU