students editing output

Robert Skinner skinner at saber.UUCP
Sat Oct 5 05:52:24 AEST 1985

> This method is also used here at Penn State on both Unix systems and with
> VM/CMS.  All files are mailed to the instructor after they are debugged
> and tested.  The instructor then runs the programs using COMMON data for
> all of the runs.  If the program does not run using the data supplied by
> the instructor, the program is assumed to not work properly, since the
> user/data interface was defined by the instructor.

Just make sure that the instructor isn't using a very odd set of data.
As a student I would be concerned if I wasn't able to spot (and test
for) a special condition not explicitly mentioned in the homework
assignment.

I would expect that this would happen to more than one person for each
assignment, but you can imagine the case where a small percentage of
the student's programs bomb on the same special case.

		The difference between America and England is,
			the English think 100 miles is long distance and
			Americans think 100 years is a long time.

Name:	Robert Skinner
Snail:	Saber Technology, 2381 Bering Drive, San Jose, California 95131
AT&T:	(408) 945-0518, or 945-9600 (mesg. only)
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!saber!skinner
	...{amd,ihnp4,ittvax}!saber!skinner