Binary Compatibility 80286

Dick Dunn rcd at opus.UUCP
Thu Oct 24 18:24:11 AEST 1985

> Now that we have at least four announced versions of SYS V Unix for the
> 80286 (Xenix, PC-IX, Venix, and the 6300+ OSmerge), I would like to
> know if these systems are compatible at the binary program level that
> Bill Gates has declared imperative for commerical success.

A couple of esteemed contributors to this group have opined that binary
compatibility is not that important and have also speculated on the
topological relationship between Bill Gates' head and other bodily
orifices.  I agree with the former and have insufficient information to
make a reasonable guess on the latter.  HOWEVER, that warn't the question,
guys!  Two specific points:

	Given the shameless piece of marketing tripe/hype--the infamous
	"tricycle" ad blasting the 68020 (carefully blasting the
	competition instead of saying anything substantive about the
	product being touted, an 80?86), one of the points was that there
	are many versions of UNIX for the 680[12]0.  Of course that's no
	really big deal, but I think that after that ad it would be a real
	grin if the 80?86 UNIXes were NOT object-compatible, and I for one
	would like to rub it in a little for the Intel weenies.

	There is a substantial market in the low end for binary versions of
	software--where the stuff is distributed on tiny floppies, etc.  We
	may not be interested in that end of the business but others are.

Leave Bill Gates to contemplate his whatever--but what IS the answer on
compatibility among the 86 systems?
--
Dick Dunn	{hao,ucbvax,allegra}!nbires!rcd		(303)444-5710 x3086
   ...At last it's the real thing...or close enough to pretend.