dump(8) verification ?

Eric McRae eric at amc.UUCP
Sat Oct 5 03:35:36 AEST 1985

> has anyone hacked dump to perform a verify pass on the data dumped?

If your dumps fit on one tape, you can at least do a dd of the tape
into /dev/null.  That will check for tape errors.  At some point, you
should verify that your dump/restore mechanism works.  Understand what
you would have to do to partially or completely rebuild a filesystem.
I have had disk crashes three times in my carreer as a sysad.  Each
one wiped out two filesystems.  I could give you a lot of other hints
about this whole process but for now I'll assume that you don't need
them.  If you do, send me a note.

Eric McRae  Engineering Fellow,  Applied Microsystems Corporation

Phys:	5020 148th Ave. N.E.		USPS:	PO Box C-1002
	Redmond, Wa 98052			Redmond, Wa. 98073-1002
UUCP:	eric at amc (..uw-beaver!tikal!amc!eric)	ATT:	(206) 882-2000