Ultrix problem

Chris Torek chris at umcp-cs.UUCP
Wed Oct 2 12:03:40 AEST 1985

> ....  In both VMS and UNIX the kernel is loaded into low PHYSICAL
> memory while user processes tend to run in higher PHYSICAL pages.

I admit that I am no expert on VMS, but I believe that this is not
true: the VMS kernel is booted into the highest available physical
addresses.  (Physical location matters little once memory mapping
has been enabled.)  Were this not so, the problem might well have
struck VMS also:  The fault was traced to a RAM problem that was
masked by frequent writes, and it seems unlikely that VMS would
write on its code space.
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris at umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris at mimsy.umd.edu