Questions about running Ultrix (Unix) on uVaxII

Sebastian Schmitz snoopy at ecrcvax.UUCP
Tue Oct 29 22:06:11 AEST 1985

Re. 1.
I have heard that memory was the problem. I do not know if the
problem was exactly as you mentioned, but I do know it had
something to do with memory loss. I do not work for DEC, nor am
I their spokesperson and I know two people on the Net who are
very happy about this (right A&J) :-).

Re. 2.
I don't know whose chips will be used to replace the duff ones.
It may be good NEC ones, for all I care.

Re. 3
The reason VMS was not bothered is simply that VMS will
regularly access all the memory in a sort of "software refresh".
I know nothing about VMS whatsoever so I don't know if this is
true. This is one story I have heard.
The other story I have heard is that Un(ltr)ix runs in
low memory (which is where the duff chips were) and therefore
got corrupted. VMS runs in high memory and therefore its kernel
did not get mangled. The real answer is likely to be a
combination of both.
--
  Love,
  Sebastian (Snoopy)

"You haven't done it, till you've done it with pointers"

\!mcvax\!unido\!ecrcvax\!snoopy /* N.B. valid csh address */