need tutorial on SYSV ipc

Larry Rogers lrr at princeton.UUCP
Wed Oct 16 02:49:10 AEST 1985

In article <632 at neuro1.UUCP> sob at neuro1.UUCP (Stan Barber) writes:

>Is there a tutorial-type paper available from anyone that
>explains SYSV ipc and how to use it effectively??
>Optimally, some practical examples would be nice.
>Please mail responses to me and I will Summarize.
>Thanks in advance
>--
>Stan		uucp:{ihnp4!shell,rice}!neuro1!sob     Opinions expressed
>Olan		ARPA:sob at rice.arpa		       here are ONLY mine &
>Barber		CIS:71565,623   BBS:(713)660-9262      noone else's.

"An Advanced Programmer's Guide to UNIX System V", written by Rebecca Thomas,
Larry Rogers (me), and Jean Yates and due to be out November 8 so says
Osborne-McGraw/Hill, contains a fairly large section (section D if I remember
correctly) in Chapter 7 that explains and shows non-trivial examples of the
System V Inter Process Communication features.  The example is a (relatively)
simple distributed database system.  I gave a seminar on this topic
at UNIFORUM in Dallas and would distribute copies of that talk to all who
mail me a note AND AGREE TO BUY THE BOOK when it is available at your
local book store.

To those who have preconceived ideas about the type and quality of books
written by Thomas and Yates, I ask that you at least try this book before
dismissing it as yet another T/Y (yaty) creation.  I had a significant
role in this work and believe that it is written in a style that reflects
my background and experience with younecks.  My only concern is that some
will prejudge it based on the known authors.  Maybe I'm wrong.

Larry Rogers
Princeton University
Department of Computer Science
Engineering Quadrangle Building, Room C334
Princeton, NJ 08544

UUCP:	princeton!lrr
CSNET:	lrr%princeton at CSnet-relay
PHONE:	609 452 6483