Help! Csh is eating my brain....

Trevor Flory flory at zaphod.UUCP
Thu Oct 17 04:54:25 AEST 1985

Hello All;
	I'm trying to debug a csh script written by someone who
	knew what he was doing I'm sure.  Below is a fragment of
	the script which I find rather difficult to understand:
		alias readandset 'echo -n \!:1 ; set \!:2 = $< '
		readandset "Choice? " chvar
		if("$chvar" == "quit") ....

	In particular I'd like to know what \!:1 or \!:2 means/does.

	Please note that I know the basics of csh but I'm no whiz so
	a full, step-by-step parse of how the above fragment is
	interpreted would not be out of order.  Thanks very much for
	your help.  Post or e-mail as you see fit.

--
Trevor K. Flory           UUCP: ...!ihnp4{!alberta}!sask!zaphod!flory
Develcon Electronics Ltd.             Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, CANADA

"... the play is the tragedy, `Man',
	And its hero the Conqueror Worm."
			Poe, c.1838