Useful csh prompts? (with code diffs)

Frederick M. Avolio avolio at decuac.UUCP
Thu Oct 10 11:31:00 AEST 1985

In article <229 at ur-cvsvax.UUCP>, bill at ur-cvsvax.UUCP (Bill Vaughn) writes:
> > A lifelong ambition of mine has been to have csh give me the current
> > time as my prompt (Ok, current time, and history number, to get greedy).
> >
> If one has the source code one might as well do it there.
>    ....  I was originally doing this with very cumbersome aliases
>                           ...  It works like a charm.  In fact, I had only
> added '@' to serve as a code for 'pwd'.

I do not mean to belittle the code changes made by Bill, as they are very
nice.  I also realize that the original poster wanted the *time* in the
prompt and the only way to do this so that the current time always shows up
is in the source code.  But, if one only wants the current directory as
part of the csh prompt, I'd use the following (which are by no means
cumbersome aliases).

                 alias cd 'cd !* ; set prompt="[$cwd]: "'
		 alias popd 'popd ; set prompt="[$cwd]: "'
		 alias pushd 'pushd !* ; set prompt="[$cwd]: "'