YTERM problem

art%mwvms at mitre.ARPA art%mwvms at mitre.ARPA
Wed Oct 16 02:58:24 AEST 1985

--------
perhaps I should have labeled this
re:file transfer between vax and ibmpc through LAN ?

>We have several ibmpc's connected to ETHERNET LAN with the communication
>program 'yterm'. I can connect the ibmpc to the vax (running UNIX 4.2)
>using yterm. Therefore , the ibmpc serve as a terminal for the vax.
>Now , I escape the yterm program to DOS and invoke MSKERMIT and then
>type 'connect'. I get back to the unix shell. CKERMIT is then invoked.
>Then type 'send filename <CR>'; escape (^]C) back to MSKERMIT ;
>type 'receive <CR>'. However, there is no packet coming in. The screen
>just display 'transfer in progress......' message forever!
>
>(1) Am I totally wrong ? The kermit doesn't work on LAN ??? (only on tel
>    line ? )
>(2) Or I forgot to set some parameters ??? Can someone mail me sample session
>    if same attempt has been done?
>Thanks in advance.
>HP Wei

I have seen several responses to this question.  They have all failed to take
into consideration the part that YTERM is playing on the problem.  YTERM has
built into it a modem protocol and a file transfer capability.  Once installed
it requires a reboot of the PC to totally remove it.  It is possible that the
bug you are seeing is in your PC.

YTERM by Yale has a file transfer capability.  The PCTRANS portion of the
codes is written in C.  When I spoke with them 6 months ago they were not
interested in doing a Unix version (they have a VMS version) but would give
the source to someone interested in a Unix version.  Once you have run YTERM
on a PC it mungs the internals of the PC-DOS operating system to the point
that you had better reboot before you try some other program that also mungs
the same areas of code.  Kermit should work fine in the aplication you have.