VAX <===> ibmpc ; VAX <===> ibm 3081 file transfer using KERMIT

P Wei wei at princeton.UUCP
Sat Oct 19 13:59:03 AEST 1985

I recently posted two notes on the NET concerning the following two 'problems'
: how to transfer files using KERMIT between
(1) VAX (UNIX 4.2bsd) <===> ibmpc
(2) VAX <===> ibm 3081 (VM370)
via telephone line or LAN .
I got a few reponses which gave me a lot of insight about the LAN and KERMIT.
Thanks a lot ! HOwever, after posting those two notes, I continued doing
hand on 'experiments'. Without knowing the technical details, I finally and
luckily enough got things going after many try-and-error's. My original
'stupid' ignornance was that I didn't set the baud and parity right for the
KERMIT. Now I can use MSKERMIT to connect to VAX CKERMIT via the LAN (at least
in our LAN) and transfer files between the two machines. For (2), in our VAX
there is a port connected to the same LAN. I just conduct the CKERMIT
connecting to it. The whole procedure is the same as in (1). The UNIX files
(text) transfered to 3081 and then back were checked (diff) to be exactly the
same. However, the files created by the 3081 XEDIT became only one line after
transfered to the VAX. I think this is due to file format difference between
UNIX and VM370. But, isn't KERMIT supposed to resolve these difference ??
Or, I again forgot to set something right ???

PS: (a) I would like to mention the reason I posted the 'hardware specific'
problems on the NET was : I was told, by some 'supposed-to-be expert' in school
, that I couldn't do (1) using KERMIT on LAN and there was no way of doing
(2). I was doubtful about those claims and, without knowing and specifying
the hardware details, posted those notes hoping to hear another person's
opinions.
    (b) One person, whose name and address I don't have record, was interested
in YTERM. It is just another communication program for the ibmpc developed by
YALE Univ. It is specifically designed for ibmpc and ibm main frame, to my
understanding, because there is a file transfer program in the CMS which is
for file transfer between CMS and ibmpc running YTERM. I never tried to use
it as a general communication program except using it to communicate with
VAX doing DUMB terminal jobs. If he wants to get more information about it,
please contact YALE UNIV. computer center.

HP Wei   (wei at princeton)