Using named revisions in RCS

willcox at ccvaxa.UUCP willcox at ccvaxa.UUCP
Fri Oct 4 00:37:00 AEST 1985

I wanted to do the same thing a few weeks ago, so I cobbled together
the following shell script.  It's something of a kludge, but is
definitely in the UNIX spirit ("use existing tools to make new ones").
I'm sure someone will want to add lots of new features to it, but
it served my purpose as is:

#!/bin/csh -f
set name=$1
shift
echo "Setting symbolic name to $name"
foreach i ($*)
    echo $i"":
    set head=`rlog -h $i | sed -n -e "s/head:  *//p"`
    if ($head != "") then rcs -N$name:$head -sRel:$head $i
end
David A. Willcox
Gould CSD-Urbana
1101 E. University Ave.
Urbana, IL 61801
217-384-8500
{decvax!pur-ee,ihnp4}!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!willcox