UNIX coresident with VMS

Richard Welty weltyrp at rpics.UUCP
Tue Oct 22 12:47:25 AEST 1985

> In article <5732 at tekecs.UUCP> glenm at tekecs.UUCP (Glen McCluskey) writes:
> >
> >Is it possible to have UNIX and VMS coresident on
> >the same physical disks?  I don't mean running at
> >the same time, just the ability to switch back and
> >forth without changing disk packs.
>
> It should be possible to do this, provided that you can make sure that
> UNIX does not tamper with the VMS partitions of the disk, and that VMS
> does not tamper with the UNIX partitions of the disk. I know this is
> doable with UNIX. A VMS wizard will have to answer as to whether VMS
> can do this.
>
> 	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair at ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU

To the best of my knowledge, VMS is quite unable to deal with partitions of
a disk ... every VMS system I've ever seen treats the whole disk as a single
collection of disk blocks.
--
				Rich Welty

	(I am both a part-time grad student at RPI and a full-time
	 employee of a local CAE firm, and opinions expressed herein
	 have nothing to do with anything at all)

	CSNet:   weltyrp at rpi
	ArpaNet: weltyrp.rpi at csnet-relay
	UUCP:  seismo!rpics!weltyrp