printer daemon question

Jeffrey W Percival jwp at uwmacc.UUCP
Sun Oct 6 06:18:31 AEST 1985

First of all, thanks for all the responses to the questions I've
been posting recently...  they have been very useful, and have really
helped a lot.  Now for another one.

I have a printer that plots too.  I set up a print spool directory
and a plot spool directory, and created a printer filter and a plot
filter.  According to a suggestion I saw on the net recently, I
specified the plot daemon's lock file in /etc/printcap as
"../print/lock" so they wouldn't clash.  The problem is that the
plot daemon wakes up, sees the lock file due to some print job,
and dies.  After the print job is finished and the lock file is gone,
the plot job is still queued up.  It takes an additional plot job
to fire up the plot daemon and get the plot queue serviced.  What
piece am I missing here?  Can I fix things so that queues get serviced
without having to tell casual users about restarting daemons and such?

I thought of something like having the second daemon sleep instead
of dying, but then I think I run into problems with several daemons
sleeping on the same queue.

I am using the 2.9BSD lpr software.
--
	Jeff Percival ...!uwvax!uwmacc!jwp