Using named revisions in RCS, redux

Bernie Cosell cosell at BBN-LABS-B.ARPA
Tue Oct 1 01:37:49 AEST 1985

No sooner had I sent out my note claiming that there was no easy way to tag
`current' revisions with names than I received a note about a scheme that looks
like it will work like a charm (and from another BBN'er, no less -- I should
have checked my back yard before bothering the net!  Thanks Rich!!)

The key insight is that whereas, in fact, the rcs command does not much know
about current revisions, the ci command *does*..  Instead of trying:

    rcs -nNAME *.c

you do:

    co -l *.c
    ci -f "-mAssigning epoch NAME" -nNAME *.c

and it all works.  Sigh.  And just to rub it in, not long after that trick was
pointed out to me, a SECOND workable scheme came in:

If you happen to be able to anticipate what the next 'named' revision is going
to be, which was not the case for me but I can see that it would be a common
circumstance, you just change your shell files that do all the work for you to
include a
      -Nnextepoch
switch on EVERY ci command.  Then as you deposit each revision,
it is given the correct name automatically.

   /Bernie