ASCII, EBCDIC, and other character sets

Frank Adams franka at mmintl.UUCP
Fri Oct 25 05:59:39 AEST 1985

In article <10763 at ucbvax.ARPA> fair at ucbarpa.BERKELEY.EDU (Erik E. Fair) writes:
>I think that the proper approach is to start over completely. [...]
>
>Me? I'll continue to use UNIX in its current form (4 BSD, when I have
>the option) until the new system is available, and you can bet that it
>will support whatever I'm doing at that time better than `old' UNIX
>did, or I won't buy it.

This is exactly the problem with starting over completely.  There is so much
"stuff" in *NIX that it is almost impossible to produce a new system which
supports everything you are doing as well as it, much less better.  And if
nobody uses it, it will never catch up.

The solution?  I don't have it.

Frank Adams                           ihpn4!philabs!pwa-b!mmintl!franka