file transfer between vax and ibmpc through LAN ?

P Wei wei at princeton.UUCP
Fri Oct 11 14:49:02 AEST 1985

We have several ibmpc's connected to ETHERNET LAN with the communication
program 'yterm'. I can connect the ibmpc to the vax (running UNIX 4.2)
using yterm. Therefore , the ibmpc serve as a terminal for the vax.
Now , I escape the yterm program to DOS and invoke MSKERMIT and then
type 'connect'. I get back to the unix shell. CKERMIT is then invoked.
Then type 'send filename <CR>'; escape (^]C) back to MSKERMIT ;
type 'receive <CR>'. However, there is no packet coming in. The screen
just display 'transfer in progress......' message forever!

(1) Am I totally wrong ? The kermit doesn't work on LAN ??? (only on tel
    line ? )
(2) Or I forgot to set some parameters ??? Can someone mail me sample session
    if same attempt has been done?
Thanks in advance.
HP Wei