Binary Compatibility 80286

Doug Gwyn <gwyn> gwyn at brl-tgr.ARPA
Tue Oct 22 19:03:30 AEST 1985

> Now that we have at least four announced versions of SYS V Unix for the
> 80286 (Xenix, PC-IX, Venix, and the 6300+ OSmerge), I would like to
> know if these systems are compatible at the binary program level that
> Bill Gates has declared imperative for commerical success.

Bill Gates has his head up his assembler.  There is more to UNIX
than Intel processors, and there is more to 8086 family UNIXes
than MicroSoft.  Sure, if there were no competition, MicroSoft
would clean up.  Is that a desirable goal to anyone besides Gates?
What is he doing to promote viable UNIX standardization?  Has he
sent representatives to the P1003 working group meetings?

Don't believe everything you read, especially UNIX/WORLD.