Initial Response to Internat

Jim R Oldroyd jr at inset.UUCP
Sun Oct 27 15:25:45 AEST 1985

After posting a call for votes yesterday, I have now received 20 replys.
WAIT - don't flame yet; read my comments on these few first:

Every one of these responses is a YES vote for a net.??? group and
only 1 would find a mod.??? acceptable.  None want a sub-group of
net.unix.

HOWEVER: 25% of the votes make these two points:

1.	The name `internat' is likely to be confused with `internEt'.
	I agree with this.  `Intnl' has been suggested as an alternative.
	Please MAIL me your preference with your vote.

2.	There is not yet a demonstrated volume of postings.  I have two
	comments on this:

	a.	There have been many postings in the States which did
		not make it back to Europe!  This is (apparently) due
		to the fact that some of the long-haul routes take only
		a sub-set of the newsgroups.  A new one must be added
		explicitly.  This policy is under discussion on EUNET.

	b.	There is a discussion in net.unix at the moment.  Although
		I don't like the association with UNIX, it seems the best
		place at the moment.

SO: please carry on mailing me your votes; please help get some serious
discussion going; and desist from sending flames about the creation to
the net - we have learnt the lesson and are doing it properly now.

--
The views presented here are my own and not those of my sheep.
++ jr at inset.co.uk
++ ..!mcvax!ukc!inset!jr