WMS NEWSLETTER #2

Marc Lesure system at asuvax.UUCP
Sat Oct 19 01:45:13 AEST 1985

		    WMS 1.7a NEWSLETTER #2, 10/15/85

This is a supplemental newsletter for users of the ASU Window Management System.

The 'sd' alias described in NEWSLETTER #1 can be simplified [obviously?]:
alias sd 'pwd > $home/.cwd'

I would like user feedback concerning the implementation of a new WTY feature:
window memory.  Unlike file buffers, these would maintain an internal image
of a window (each window could have memory) as in curses.  This may be
desirable at least for refresh purposes.  Also, internal scrolling/paging may
be feasable for memory sizes larger that window sizes.  The primary drawback to
this idea is that host loading could become unbearable.  It may be better to
reserve this for discreet (remote) WM's.

WMS Update Policy:
There are two classes of updates sent to users:
- Minor: those which can be sent on net.unix [?] as a NEWLETTER,
	 any need for net.window or are mailing lists preferred?
- Major: those which can't (net.sources or individual mail)
All trivial mods (comments, etc.) will be saved until the next major release.
If you cannot receive major updates via net.sources, let me know; otherwise
I will assume you can.  This applies also to those who have already requested
to be put on an update list.  User contributed updates are welcome and will be
credited accordingly.

Minor Updates follow:

======= File: release/makefile
======= Change the line:
v			= 1.7a # version
======= to:
v			= 1.7b # version
======= After the lines:
# where msh, termcap, wms, and wty go:
# P = /usr/public
======= add the lines:
# NOTE: see the file ./source/NOTES (about relinking) if you change this
# before the first make, or if you recompile any time after the change.

======= File: release/source/wty/wty.c
======= Just before procedure init_wty, add the line:
extern char *getenv();
=======	In procedure init_wty:
=======	Change the line:
  	if (strlen(strcpy(WTYB,getenv("WTYB"))) == 0)
======= to:
  	if (strlen(strcpy(WTYB,(p = getenv("WTYB")) == NULL ? "" : p)) == 0)
=======	Change the line:
  	strcpy(WTYP,getenv("WTYP"));
======= to:
  	strcpy(WTYP,(p = getenv("WTYP")) == NULL ? "" : p);
=======	Change the line:
  	strcpy(t_nam,getenv("TERM"));
======= to:
  	strcpy(t_nam,(p = getenv("TERM")) == NULL ? "" : p);
======= Move the lines:
  	s_WS();
  	flush_screen();
=======	to the very end of init_wty.

======= End of Updates.  Summary:
- Add comments to makefile; change version.
- Correct a potential core-dump on startup. Does not seem to affect VAX.
- May affect other 4.2 machines.

George Nelan 				UUCP:
Engineering Research Center (ERC 207)	...{ucbvax,ihnp4}!arizona!asuvax!nelan
Arizona State University		...ihnp4!noao!terak!asuvax!nelan
Tempe, Arizona, USA, 85287 		CSNET:
(602)-965-2791 				nelan at asu