Subject: Re: [TUHS] Borland's C++ BuilderX, Personal Edition
From: Andrzej Popielewicz <[email-masked]>
To: Brantley Coile <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 01:04:13 +0200

Uz.ytkownik Brantley Coile napisa?:

>>>Why would you want shared libraries!?
>>>      
>>>
>>Not me, but others, and possibly James himself, he wanted to make V7 top
>>modern.
>>    
>>
>
>There is nothing modern about shared libraries.  IBM OS/VS and MVS had
>
I worked for 8 years in VM/ESA and MVS environment .Old good times. My
University has once again top modern IBM mainframe.

>them early as did MIT's MULTICS system.  Shared libraries  cause more
>problems than they help, especially on today's memory fat systems.
>Every tried to run a binary only to have it puke about the lack of a
>shared library of the correct version?
>
Agreed, I did not say the concept is new, only that it is considered to
be modern, or some kind of must.
I would not agree , that the shared libs cannot help, they allow for
programs to be smaller, so it saves disk space too.
And Java would not exist without shared libraries, because Java is
dynamic in its whole nature or spirit.
And Java applications are so small.
But You are right sometimes system gets confused with many versions,
both in Unix and Windows world.
I see the problem in Coherent for example, all binaries, specially
Xwindows applications are giant, because statically linked.

Andrzej