Subject: Re: [TUHS] Borland's C++ BuilderX, Personal Edition
From: Andrzej Popielewicz <[email-masked]>
To: Brantley Coile <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 01:32:14 +0200

Uz.ytkownik Brantley Coile napisa?:

>I suggest using the Plan 9 compilers and start with the code for the
>32V system.  That's the code that first ran on the VAX.  It'll be
>easier to move than the PDP version.  It's just Seventh Edition moved
>to the VAX.
>
James, take this clever advice into account !

>
>I'm using Plan 9 to type this.  It's the os I have used as my primary
>os for the last 10 years.  I wrote the Cisco PIX Firewall and the
>LocalDirector using it.  I first used Plan 9 15 years ago at Bell Labs.
>
Wow. So You come from true first hand Unix world.

>In a very real sense, it is the true decendent of a very noble line of
>timesharing systems, going all the way back to MIT's CTSS.
>
>You should try Plan 9 for free by downloading it from Bell Labs.  It's
>all open source.  Expect to learn a lot.  It's UNIX like a Ford
>Mustang is a T-Model.  Lot of the ideas of V7-10 are further developed
>in Plan 9.  It's certainly the os perfered by a good number of UNIX
>purests.  It was the result of a number of poeple, including Ken
>Thompson, who thought that a fresh code start would allow them to
>better exploit new technology like networking, hetergenious
>processors, and symmetrical multiple processors.
>http://plan9.bell-labs.com
>
I hear about Plan9 since years, but never had opportunity to check
it.OK, promised, this summer I give it a try.

Andrzej