[COFF] Other OSes?

Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com
Mon Jul 9 10:56:59 AEST 2018

On Sun, Jul 08, 2018 at 08:05:29PM -0400, Dan Cross wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 8, 2018 at 7:28 PM Bakul Shah <bakul at bitblocks.com> wrote:
> > [...]
> > I believe autocompletion has been available for 20+ years. IIRC, I
> > switched to zsh in 1995 and it has had autocompletion then. But you
> > do have to teach zsh/bash how to autocomplete for a given program.
>
> csh has had filename auto-completion since the late 70s or early 80s,
> though nowhere as rich or as full-featured as bash/zsh, let alone TOPS-20.

Yeah, I'm gonna go with what I learned about TOPS-20, I didn't know that,
that's way way better than any auto complition I've seen on Unix.

> This. Much of the issue with Unix was convention, or rather, lack of a
> consistent convention. Proponents of DEC operating systems that I've known
> decry that Unix can't do stuff like, `RENAME *.FTN *.FOR`, because the

http://mcvoy.com/lm/move

fixes that.  Since around the late 80's.

> main(argc, argv)
>         int argc;
>         char *argv[];
> {
>         if (--argc > 0 && *argv[1] == '-') {
>                 argv++;
>                 while (*++*argv)
>                 switch (**argv) {
>                 case 'a':
>                         continue;
>                 }
>         }
>         /* And so on.... */
>
> I mean, goodness: we didn't even use getopt(3)! It was all hand-rolled! And
> thus inconsistent.

Gotta agree with this one.  Getopt should have been a thing from day one.
We rolled our own that I like:

http://repos.bkbits.net/bk/dev/src/libc/utils/getopt.c?PAGE=anno&REV=56cf7e34186wKr7L6Lpntw_hwahS0A