[COFF] Other OSes?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Mon Jul 9 13:25:27 AEST 2018

On 07/08/2018 07:56 PM, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
> I never used Unix on teletypes; when I was using an ASR-35 and a KSR-33
> teletype, it was connected to a PDP-8/i and PDP-15/30, although both
> did have a line editor that was very similar to /bin/ed.  (This is why
> to this day if I'm on a slow link or am running in a reduced rescue
> environment, I fall back to /bin/ed, not /bin/vi --- my finger macros
> are more efficient using /bin/ed than /bin/vi.)

Please forgive my assumption and ignorance.  What OS ran on the PDP-8/i
or PDP-15/30?

I fully get falling back to old habits that work well, especially in a
constrained environment.

> At least for me, the huge difference that made a difference to how I
> would use a computer primarily had to do with speed that could be sent
> from a computer.  So even when using a glass tty, if there was 300 or
> 1200 bps modem between me and the computer, I would be much more likely
> to use editor scripts --- and certainly, I'd be much more likely to use
> a line editor than anything curses-oriented, whether it's vim or emacs.

Doing different things based on the (lack of) speed of the connection
makes complete sense.

> I'd also be much more thoughtful about figuring out how to carefully
> do a global search and replace in a way that wouldn't accidentally
> make the wrong change.  Forcing myself to think for a minute or two
> about how do clever global search and replaces was well worth it when
> there was a super-thin pipe between me and the computer.  These days,
> I'll just use emacs's query-replace, which will allow me to approve each
> change in context, either for each change, or once I'm confident that I
> got the simple-search-and-replace, or regexp-search-and-replace right,
> have it do the rest of the changes w/o approval.

In light of the (lack of) speed aspect above, that seems perfectly
reasonable.

I too do something similar in vi(m) as far as confirming some changes as
I gain trust that they are doing the proper thing.

> It's not what you *can't* do with a glass-tty.  It's just that with a
> glass-tty, I'm much more likely to rely on incremental searches of my
> bash command-line history to execute previous commands, possibly with
> some changes, because it's more convenient than firing up an editor and
> creating a shell script.

ACK

> But there have been times, even recently, when I've been stuck behind a
> slow link (say, because of a crappy hotel network), where I'll find myself
> reverting, at least partially, to my old teletype / 1200 modem habits.

Fair.

Will you please elaborate on what you mean by "editor scripts"?  That's
a term that I'm not familiar with.  —  I didn't see an answer to this
question, so I'm asking again.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die