[COFF] Other OSes?

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Mon Jul 9 13:43:10 AEST 2018

On 07/08/2018 09:35 PM, Dan Cross wrote:
> Back in the days of line editors, which read their commands from the
> standard input and were relatively simple programs as far as their user
> interface was concerned, you could put a set of editor commands into a
> file and run it sort of like a shell script. This way, you could run the
> same sequence of commands against (potentially) many files. Think
> something like:

ACK

I figured that you were referring to something like that.  But I wanted
to ask in case there was something else that I didn't know about but
could benefit from knowing.  I.e. vimscript.

> $ cat >scr.ed
> g/unix/s/unix/Unix/g
> ^D
> $ for f in *.ms; do ed $f << scr.ed; done; unset f

Nice global command.  Run the substitution (globally on the line) on any
line containing "unix".  I like it.  ;-)

The double << is different than what I would expect.  I wonder if that's
specific to the shell or appending to the input after the file?

> Back in the days of teletypes, line editors were of course the only
> things we had. When we moved to glass TTYs with cursor addressing we got
> richer user interfaces, but with those came more complex input handling
> (often reading directly from the terminal in "raw" mode), which meant
> that scripting the editor was harder, as you usually couldn't just
> redirect a file into its stdin.

That makes sense.  Thank you for the explanation.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die