[COFF] PiDP Obsolesces Guaranteed

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Mon Jul 9 23:06:10 AEST 2018

BTW.  Just last night before I went to bed, I booted for the first time my
PiDP-11/70. I have one of the first alpha units since I’ve been coaching
Oscar with the project a small amount.  I left it running a some tests last
night and am off to USENIX ATC today, so I have not even tried to boot Unix
on it yet.   One of the cool things about this project, I was able to
arrange for the designer of the original 11/70 front panel to be consulted
(Jim Bleck) on the molds to Oscar who was able to have the molds and the
switches made in Europe.   Anyway, the PiDP-8 is cool and looks the same as
the original 8/I,  but the panel is framed/finished in wood.  For the 11,
the panel is the real thing - DEC white (hopefully will not fade using
modern plastics).    FYI Oscar is considering doing the -10 next but given
the amount of work from the 8 and the 11 it’s more than a hobby.
--
Sent from a handheld expect more typos than usual